- Complete all HTML structure modules on codecademy: http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/web
- Find three ebooks with interesting elements. For each example, list: a link to the sample, title, author, publisher, date of publication, platform where you read the book, and how you found it. Describe what is uniquely interesting about each. Due Wednesday by 5pm. (NOTE: You do not have to buy these books. You can search via google to find interesting ebooks and preview them via online bookstores and even, perhaps, articles written about them.)
IN ADDITION: Starting next week, each class 2-3 students will present a news item regarding digital publishing to the class. Please email me the news item by noon on Thursday of class. Schedule below and here.
MARCH 3: Rebecca Bergman, Yilla Chin
MARCH 10: Marcus Clinton, Brandon Danowsky
MARCH 17: Ledia Duro, Franchesca Frias
MARCH 24: Enyyella Gutierrez, Nuzhat Hossain, Bethany Smith
APRIL 7: Suela Kolpepaj, Brianna Madrigal, Julio Marquez,
APRIL 14: Christina Morse, Noelle Nogales, Erica Zayas
APRIL 21: Naomi Parker, Ramze Pilar
MAY 12: Antoinette Pryor, Elizabeth Serrano
CLASS NOTES: Bethany was kind enough to type up class notes from 2/25, and they may be found here: Class Notes
- Reading: Castro, Epub Straight to the Point (Introduction and Using Word to write EPUB). There is a copy in the NYPL for those who do not want to purchase. Please let me know if you are having trouble finding or purchasing.
- Assignment 1: Complete Introduction to HTML modules on codeacademy: http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/web. You will need to sign up to access but the service is free.
- Reading: Bhaskar, The Content Machine, introduction, chapters 1 and 2
(The e-book may be purchased on Amazon. Feel free to share copies.)
- Assignment: Outline the ebook publishing process, from book acquisition to distribution to a customer (as a bulleted or numbered list). Is there anything you would change? (short paragraph) IMPORTANT: Please email assignment to me by noon on Thursday 2/18.
- Reading: McGann, Radiant Textuality, attached chapter: RadiantTextuality_DEPCCNY
- Assignment: You are a literary scholar tasked with determining the author of a famous, anonymously authored novel. How would you have approached this challenge before the availability of digital tools and corpus analysis? How would you approach it today? What are the merits and what are the disadvantages of computer‐aided literary study? Be prepared to discuss in class.